Sell online in Malaysia
Ecommerce in Malaysia is growing fast. More and more merchants start to sell online in Malaysia. In order to reach more potential customers and not to be limited to just Malaysians, physical store owners focus today on the digital presence of their brands. However, selling online in Malaysia is still in its early stages.
- Steps to start selling online in Malaysia:
- Does Malaysia give a real opportunity for merchants who want to sell online in Malaysia?
- Trends of ecommerce in Malaysia:
- Strategies to sell online in Malaysia:
- Factors encouraging individuals to sell online in Malaysia:
- products to sell online in Malaysia:
- Population and language in Malaysia:
- How to sell online in Malaysia with Storeino platform ?
The world of ecommerce is changing quickly and physical stores start suffering from intense competition from online stores.
Steps to start selling online in Malaysia:
- Find products to sell online:
Coming up with a good product to sell online needs you to understand your target audience’s preferences and pain points. This is a major phase in selling online because it will impact every other business decision you make, including your brand name and website design.
- Build your website using an online ecommerce platform:
Storeino will let you create your e-boutique to sell your products online. Storeino’s platform makes it easy for you to get started immediately by offering a 15-day trial.
After the trial has ended, you may choose from three available packages: Startup, Professional and Business.
- List the products in your store:
You should manually add your products to your store with clear descriptions and images from different angles and dimensions.
- Set up payments:
Try to give your customers a variety of payment options, such as: Payments via credit card, PayPal, bank deposit and even cash on delivery if possible.
Does Malaysia give a real opportunity for merchants who want to sell online in Malaysia?
In Malaysia, the accessibility to the Internet is high and the opportunities to sell online are multiple. Nowadays, there are so many types of online businesses. To sell your products in Malaysia, you should choose from 2 types of products: Commoditized products that everybody needs and niche products that satisfies the needs or a specific audience.
Indeed, Malaysia is in the 38th position for the largest ecommerce markets with a revenue of US$4 billion in 2020.
Malaysia is one of the most attractive markets for ecommerce. In fact, the middle class in Malaysia is expanding which makes selling online very easy in this country.
Trends of ecommerce in Malaysia:
- Malaysians shoppers and buyers usually prefer to shop online and buy products from international sellers because of the attractive prices and the accessibility of more items.
- In Malaysia, people are using their mobile devices to shop online. For that, you have to ensure that your website is mobile-friendly to sell online in Malaysia.
- Generally, Malaysians prefer digital wallets and bank transfers to pay for their products. However, people aged from 45 to 54 years old prefer Cash On Delivery when shopping online.
- In Malaysia, online shopping increases during many holidays, especially in Ramadan and The Chinese New Year. E-merchants offer their products to sell online weeks before the celebrations to let people explore their offers.
Strategies to sell online in Malaysia:
- Provide a variety of products: To satisfy the Malaysians unmet needs, e-merchants sell online different products and accessories by using an ecommerce platform.
- Offer different payment methods: Bank transfers are the most used payment method by online customers in Malaysia. However, to serve a wider audience, online sellers in Malaysia provide customers with different payment options.
- Quick delivery: The majority of Malaysians expect to receive their orders within one week or less. This is why sellers should offer a great shipping experience to their customers.
- Understand the Malaysian market: To sell online in Malaysia, you should acquire a strong knowledge about preferences, customs, holidays and traditions of the local Malaysians, to give them the right offer at the right time.
Factors encouraging individuals to sell online in Malaysia:
- Coronavirus restrictions: The pandemic has hugely impacted ecommerce and consumer buying habits in Malaysia. Given the current situation; the safest solution for sellers is to swap physical activities with online presence.
- The evolution of social media: More than 85% of Malaysians are active social media users.
- Preference for digital payments: Generally, to sell online in Malaysia; ensure to allow people to pay via a bank transfer as it remains the most preferred ecommerce payment method in Malaysia (present 44% of all transactions).
- Government assistance: Malaysian government is working hard when it comes to ecommerce. There are plenty of initiatives that aim to increase internet accessibility to rural areas and ameliorate e-wallets technologies.
Popular products to sell online in Malaysia:
Online Malaysian buyers often buy clothes and accessories, electronics, books and home furnishings. To sell online in Malaysia, you could start by offering products from these categories.
Population and language in Malaysia:
The total population in Malaysia exceeds 31 millions. The median age is around 38 and the language spoken is Malay. However, to make searches on the internet, Malaysians mostly use English.
How to sell online in Malaysia with Storeino platform ?
To start selling on Storeino, you need to follow these steps:
- Download storeino mobile application: It is available for both app store and Google Play store,.
- Sign up : You are required to enter your email address, your mobile number and set a password to get a 15-day free trial
- Add products with detailed descriptions: Category, price, stock, shipping fee ….
- Add different payments methods to receive your money